The TSA Had Its Busiest Day Ever Over the July 4 Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This past July 4th weekend marked the busiest period the Transportation Security Administration has ever seen.
In a press release, the TSA reported that it screened over 11.9 million passengers and crew at security checkpoints nationally between July 3 and July 7.
The TSA saw the highest traffic ever on Sunday, July 7, in which agents screened 2,795,014 passengers and crew. This beats the record set on Friday, May 24 over Memorial Day weekend, by 2,344. In addition to people passing through security, over 8 million checked bags were screened by the TSA.
On a typical day, the TSA sees about 2.2 million passengers and crew members through security. Wait times at airport checkpoints usually take about half an hour for passengers to be screened. The TSA said that the average time for July 4 weekend passengers remained under 30 minutes for standard lanes and less than 10 minutes for those with TSA PreCheck.
In anticipation of future high traffic periods at the airport, the TSA suggests passengers arrive at the airport “prepared and early,” about two hours prior to a domestic flight and three hours before flying internationally. TSA PreCheck and CLEAR are also good alternative methods for beating long airport security lines — here is our guide on the best credit cards to use for PreCheck.
Featured image of the Atlanta airport, the busiest in the world, by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.