The TSA Had Its Busiest Day Ever Over the July 4 Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This past July 4th weekend marked the busiest period the Transportation Security Administration has ever seen.
In a press release, the TSA reported that it screened over 11.9 million passengers and crew at security checkpoints nationally between July 3 and July 7.
The TSA saw the highest traffic ever on Sunday, July 7, in which agents screened 2,795,014 passengers and crew. This beats the record set on Friday, May 24 over Memorial Day weekend, by 2,344. In addition to people passing through security, over 8 million checked bags were screened by the TSA.
On a typical day, the TSA sees about 2.2 million passengers and crew members through security. Wait times at airport checkpoints usually take about half an hour for passengers to be screened. The TSA said that the average time for July 4 weekend passengers remained under 30 minutes for standard lanes and less than 10 minutes for those with TSA PreCheck.
In anticipation of future high traffic periods at the airport, the TSA suggests passengers arrive at the airport “prepared and early,” about two hours prior to a domestic flight and three hours before flying internationally. TSA PreCheck and CLEAR are also good alternative methods for beating long airport security lines — here is our guide on the best credit cards to use for PreCheck.
Featured image of the Atlanta airport, the busiest in the world, by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees