TSA Finds 12th Gun This Year at Washington Dulles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Transportation Security Administration officer stopped an Alabama man from bringing a loaded handgun on to an airplane at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) on Wednesday. The incident marked the 12th gun caught this year by TSA at a Dulles checkpoint.
The Washington Post reports that TSA found the gun in 27-year-old Neal Mock’s carry-on bag. Mock tried bringing a .40 caliber handgun loaded with 10 bullets through security, but a TSA officer spotted the gun through the X-ray monitor. More than 80% of guns found at security checkpoints are loaded, TSA officials said.
TSA immediately contacted the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority (MWAA), and police confiscated the firearm at the checkpoint and cited Mock on a state weapons charge. Fortunately, the incident did not result in any airport delays or cause any harm.
Passengers are permitted to travel with firearms, but only when declared and properly stored in a checked bag. Far too many passengers have tried boarding with loaded guns; on average one in 200,000 passengers bring guns to security checkpoints. This includes the Virginia woman who tried bringing a pink gun on board at Richmond International Airport (RIC) in May, a man who tried bringing a handgun loaded with 12 bullets at Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) in June and recently, the American Airlines employee who tried getting through with a stolen gun. Even if a passenger has a permit to carry a firearm, they are not allowed through a security checkpoint.
Civil penalties can reach up to $13,000 for travelers who bring weapons to airports, and the typical first offense for carrying a handgun into a checkpoint is $3,900, TSA said. The number of firearms found at security checkpoints has only increased since 2015. In 2017, TSA confiscated a record-setting 3,957 firearms in carry-on bags across the US, averaging nearly 11 firearms per day. That’s a 16.7% increase from the record-breaking number found in 2016.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees