This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Friday evening, the Trump administration Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) approved a “major disaster declaration for Hawaii” in the wake of the ongoing Kilauea volcanic eruption and earthquakes. This declaration clears the way for federal resources to supplement state and local recovery efforts.
Approximately 2,000 evacuees have had to abandon their homes as the eruption continues. Of these, 300 evacuees are currently living in emergency shelters. Authorities say that it could be weeks or months before the evacuees are able to return to their homes — if their homes are spared by the eruption.
For travelers to the 50th state, the impact continues to be minor. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park remains closed due to the eruption. However, other tourist sites on the Big Island and all tourist sites on other Hawaiian islands remain unaffected. Flights are currently operating on schedule into and out of the two major Big Island airports: Kona (KOA) and Hilo (ITO).
However, that could change suddenly if the volcano begins a steam explosion. As the lava lake levels continue to drop inside the Halemaumau Crater, geologists are wary of a “once-in-a-century” steam explosion. In addition to launching boulders into the area surrounding the crater, this steam explosion could mix with unfavorable winds to affect Big Island flights.
Featured image by Mario Tama via Getty Images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that