Hawaii’s Big Island Declared ‘Major Disaster’ by Trump Administration as Eruption Continues
On Friday evening, the Trump administration Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) approved a “major disaster declaration for Hawaii” in the wake of the ongoing Kilauea volcanic eruption and earthquakes. This declaration clears the way for federal resources to supplement state and local recovery efforts.
Approximately 2,000 evacuees have had to abandon their homes as the eruption continues. Of these, 300 evacuees are currently living in emergency shelters. Authorities say that it could be weeks or months before the evacuees are able to return to their homes — if their homes are spared by the eruption.
For travelers to the 50th state, the impact continues to be minor. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park remains closed due to the eruption. However, other tourist sites on the Big Island and all tourist sites on other Hawaiian islands remain unaffected. Flights are currently operating on schedule into and out of the two major Big Island airports: Kona (KOA) and Hilo (ITO).
However, that could change suddenly if the volcano begins a steam explosion. As the lava lake levels continue to drop inside the Halemaumau Crater, geologists are wary of a “once-in-a-century” steam explosion. In addition to launching boulders into the area surrounding the crater, this steam explosion could mix with unfavorable winds to affect Big Island flights.
Featured image by Mario Tama via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.