Tropical Storm Claudette may dampen Father’s Day weekend flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New to The Points Guy? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
What’s the first storm to watch this season? Tropical Storm Claudette formed early this morning in Louisiana and is making its way through the Deep South and Southeast this Father’s Day weekend.
Tropical Storm Claudette has moved through New Orleans and is moving through Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia over the next few days.
If you’re traveling today (or in the next couple of days), here are the airports that have been affected so far, with a decent number of flight delays and cancellations to watch out for.
The Florida Panhandle
If you’re flying in and out of Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport City Beach (ECP), Pensacola International Airport (PNS) or any nearby airports in the Panhandle, we’ve noted significant delays this morning and into the afternoon.
One of the world’s busiest airports, Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, is also a victim of Tropical Storm Claudette this weekend. As the storm moves through Georgia (and potentially into Savannah and Charleston), anticipate delays this afternoon and tomorrow.
You can monitor any weather waivers on Delta’s website here.
Charlotte-Douglas International Airport (CLT) is another busy airport with lots of passenger traffic that has started to see and will continue to be impacted by Tropical Storm Claudette.
The tropical depression is projected to end in North Carolina by Monday, so be sure to watch out for airports including Charleston International Airport (CHS), Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU), Wilmington International Airport (ILM) and Norfolk International Airport (ORF).
Even when a tropical storm only affects a particular region, delays can have a ripple effect on routes across the country. So if you’re traveling this Father’s Day weekend, anticipate weather-related flight delays — especially if you’re flying through airports in the South.
Featured photo by Jim Watson for AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees