Italian Man Jailed for Selling Fake TripAdvisor Reviews
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fake reviews on TripAdvisor aren’t a new phenomenon, but this may be the first time anyone faced real consequences after posting one.
An Italian court sentenced a man to nine months in prison and fined him €8,000 on Tuesday after he was found guilty of fraud for writing fake reviews of hotels and other business that were posted to TripAdvisor.
The man was the owner of a company called PromoSalento, which sold packages of fake reviews to businesses in order to boost their ratings on websites like TripAdvisor or Yelp.
“Writing fake reviews has always been fraud, but this is the first time we’ve seen someone sent to jail as a result,” said Brad Young, vice president, associate general counsel at TripAdvisor.
Apparently, TripAdvisor caught wind of the scam in 2015 and “blocked or removed” more than 1,000 fake reviews posted by PromoSalento.
“TripAdvisor formally joined the prosecution as a civil claimant, sharing evidence from our own investigations and providing support from our Italian legal counsel,” TripAdvisor said in a statement.
The company has its own special unit to combat fake reviews that uses technology to flag what it thinks may be a fake post.
“We invest a lot in fraud prevention and we’re successful at tackling it: Since 2015, we’ve put a stop to the activity of more than 60 different paid-review companies worldwide,” said Young. “However, we can only do so much alone, which is why we’re eager to collaborate with regulators and law enforcement authorities to support their prosecutions.”
Fake reviews have real consequences since so many consumers base decisions on them with the thought that they are real and honest.
“Online reviews play a major role in tourism and consumer purchasing decisions, but it’s important everyone plays by the rules,” Pascal Lamy, the chairman of the World Committee on Tourism Ethics, told The Guardian.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees