Spring Snow Leads Airlines To Issue Travel Waivers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This past winter was brutal, with record cold and snowfall enveloping much of the United States. With May just days away, most would assume that winter weather is no longer a concern. Unfortunately, this is not the case with the upper Midwest expected to receive a quick round of snowy weather this weekend, prompting major airlines to issue travel waivers.
The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a storm warning for counties in Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Major cities in the path of this storm include both Milwaukee and Chicago, the latter home to hubs for American, Southwest and United airlines, which means that, though snowfall will be limited, travelers could face delays and cancellations this weekend.
Snow will make its way into the Chicago and Milwaukee areas beginning Saturday and is expected to last through the evening. Snow totals could amount to upwards of 10 inches in some areas.
As of 9:30am ET on April 27, the following airlines have issued travel waivers:
|Airline||Cities||Valid for Travel By||Waiver|
||April 30, 2019||
||April 27, 2019
Through April 28
||April 27, 2019||
||April 27, 2019||
As always, it is recommended that travelers who believe their itinerary may be impacted contact their airline directly. With America, Southwest, and United airlines already facing heavy call volume as a result of flight cancellations from the grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX, expect increased hold times.
Other ways in which travelers can reach airlines include via social media such as Twitter. Travelers can also get to the airport early to discuss alternative travel options with ticketing or customer service representatives.
Correction: This has been updated to reflect that Southwest has issued a travel waiver for Grand Rapids, MI (GRR), not Cedar Rapids, IA (CID).
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees