Travel Myth Busters: Kids Should Be a Certain Age to Travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We are kicking off summer this year as a family in Costa Rica. Just as we have done in previous years, the day after school ends for the summer, we hit the air ready for a quick transition from early wake-ups, packing lunch kits, and rushing to after-school activities to taking our time exploring, spending time together, playing, and relaxing. It can feel a little chaotic prepping for a trip while checking off the last week of school activities, but I love the feeling of going wheels up as soon as the kids are ‘ours’ again for the summer.
Josh and I actually came to Costa Rica without the girls last year, but we loved it so much that we returned with them this year. It is exceedingly rare that we repeat a destination that quickly, so that speaks to how much we truly love it here. I have so much to share with you about experiencing the same place in a whole new way with the kids once we get back home, but for now, I wanted to talk about something slightly different.
My youngest daughter is two years old. She’s still in diapers, drinks from a sippy, and 100% needs an afternoon nap. You could argue she is still a toddler. Yet, she’s traveled enough that not only is the process of traveling with her usually a breeze, but I was lucky enough to capture a video this morning that in eleven seconds or less shows how much she benefits from travel at only two years of age.
As you can see if you have a few seconds to spare, she is exciting, literally beaming, and over the course of only two days in Costa Rica has picked up several Spanish phrases that she is actively using. We aren’t pushing her to learn any of this, she is just around enough people here that are saying basic phrases such as “hola” or “buenas dias” that she wants to understand and respond in kind.
No doubt we could teach her this sort of thing at home, but it would not have the same meaning and relevance to her as it does here. This process certainly isn’t unique to her as all kids are literal sponges. They will soak up whatever is around them, and in this case, that means soaking in some very basic context and skills in another language.
Even if she didn’t learn a thing on our trip, there is no question that she is having a ball, as is her older sister. I can’t think of a better way to kick of summer than with a little bit of learning, some smoothies, animal spottings, and a whole bunch of family swim sessions, all for just 15,000 World of Hyatt points per night. If you want to follow along as we explore, follow us @mommypoints on Instagram.
I’d love to hear what family travel myths are totally false in your family!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees