Hotels and airlines bet big on flexibility and peace of mind
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret that the COVID-19 pandemic walloped the travel industry.
But during the early, uncertain days of the crisis, travel companies made two significant changes to appeal to travelers, partly in the hope that people would remember these gestures when it was time to hit the road again.
Travelers have many choices in where they stay and how they fly, even during a pandemic. And though price and convenience have long been two of the most important factors, we know the global health crisis has changed everyone’s priorities. And flexibility and safety have never been more important, according to a TPG special report from October of last year.
Major players in the industry are wagering that when travel returns, people will gravitate toward the airlines, hotel brands and other companies that put health, safety and flexibility over profit.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Shifting to flexible policies
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.