Travel companies do the right thing when one man struck by tragedy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Nearly every human life is touched by tragedy at some point. For TPG reader Matt Zion, that was the sudden loss of his fiancé, Robyn.
He wrote to tell us his heartbreaking story with the hopes it might someone else in their time of need.
On Nov. 6, the couple got the unfortunate news that Robyn had been diagnosed with cancer. Just two short weeks later on Nov. 23, Robyn passed away.
The couple shared a love for travel and got the chance to visit a number of great places together, “I had the opportunity to take her to Peru, Panama, Budapest, Munich, Vienna, Lake Como, Milan, Venice, San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Utah, Vegas, Nashville… but I wanted to show her more.” said Zion.
View this post on Instagram
@robynrael checking out downtown Nashville from Bourbon Sky Bar #nashville #tennessee #rooftopbar #rooftopbarnashville #bourbonsky #bourbonskynashville #jwmarriottnashville #blonde #wanderlust #visitnashville #nashvilletn #travelusa #nashvillebars #bourbon #nashvillegram #thingstodoinnashville #jwmarriott #downtownnashville #downtownnashvilletn #tn #cocktailsinnashville #drinksinnashville #roadtrip #nashville2019 #nashvilleviews #bourbonskybar
A post shared by Matt Zions (@themattzions) on
With so many trip under their belts, it’s no wonder that they were looking forward to multiple trips planned for the future.
For instance, the two had a trip planned to Amsterdam the day after Thanksgiving. After receiving the cancer diagnosis and beginning Robyn’s chemotherapy treament, Zion reached out to Delta and explained the situation as the trip was no longer feasible.
“Initially they offered me a cancellation with change fee and we would have to travel within 10 months to use funds. I told them that would not work for us. At that point I assumed she would be with me for a long time, but did not know how long we would be battling. After a brief argument they did refund me the full amount and it took less than 48-hours to appear on my Chase Sapphire.”
That was just a week prior to her passing away. It wasn’t the only trip the couple had planned.
After Robyn passed, Zion not only had to grieve the tragic loss, but he was also left with numerous other itineraries for two. With the daunting task ahead, he reached out to American, Southwest, Orbitz, Marriott and Hilton about future reservations. To his relief, all of the companies were understanding and issued an instant refund in both cash and points.
During the difficult process of grieving, the sympathy and condolences from major companies offered Zion some solace. Zion shared he was relieved not to have to jump through a bunch of hoops, “… that you’re mentally not prepared for after tragedy. Sometimes you can make a call and companies will show some humanity.”
It’s so nice to hear Zion’s positive feedback on some of the largest travel companies in the world. Hopefully his story will help someone else in a time of need. TPG offers our condolences to Zion.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees