Long-haul news from United and Delta, cruise cabin upgrades and the Bombardier Global 7500
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every weekend, we round up the top miles, points and travel news that you might have missed on TPG this week. Here’s what you need to know:
United Airlines has announced that it will reprise a popular new long-haul route next summer. The 11-hour flight from Newark (EWR) to Maui (OGG) will now be in service between May 7, 2022, and Sept. 4, 2022, on up to five weekly frequencies. Launched only four months ago, the Newark-Maui route has seen several increases in frequency, not to mention a boost to the swanky “high-J” configuration of the Boeing 767-300ER. That aircraft features 46 Polaris pods, a 22-seat Premium Plus cabin and only 99 seats in coach. United is also bringing back daily service between Washington Dulles (IAD) and Honolulu (HNL) between June 3, 2022, and Sept. 6, 2022.
Selecting the right cruise ship cabin is one of the most important aspects of a cruise vacation. After all, your cabin will serve as a floating hotel room for a week or more. The difference between a windowless inside cabin and an expansive, amenity-laden balcony suite is huge. Keep in mind key considerations, such as the size of the ship, your destination, the reason you’re taking a cruise in the first place (to relax, party, sightsee?) and even the time of year. All those factors can make a difference in your cabin choice. Here’s when it makes sense to upgrade your accommodations (and when it doesn’t).
RELATED: 6 reasons to book a balcony cabin
Private jets come in configurations to suit every taste. But, design details are not as important as a jet’s range. Serious globe trekkers can be enticed by a VIP-configured Boeing 777 or 787, but they should also consider the Bombardier Global 7500. With a range of close to 9,000 miles, it can handle a flight plan from Singapore to San Francisco. The largest and longest-range business jet on the market features four separate living areas (including full kitchen) to help you arrive in style.
Delta has announced some long-haul route cuts and has no plans to bring them back. The routes are Atlanta (ATL) — Stuttgart (STR); Los Angeles (LAX) — Shanghai (PVG) and Salt Lake City (SLC) — London (LHR). The loss of the Atlanta-Stuttgart route no doubt hits Porsche executives hard. They were used to connecting between their German headquarters and main U.S. offices. However, Porsche remains tied to the airline in a unique transfer arrangement in which top-tier Medallion members, celebs and other bigwigs are whisked across the tarmac in a fleet of its high-end cars.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees