Watch TPG U.K. review all four classes on Singapore Airlines’ A380
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines is one of the world’s best airlines, known first and foremost for its premium-cabin offerings. Aside from its iconic Singapore Suites first class, the airline also offers a superb business class, premium economy and even economy product. Across the board, Singapore is synonymous with comfortable journeys.
But what would happen when four coworkers boarded the same flight, one in each class? TPG U.K. did exactly that. In the latest iteration of a four-class video review, four TPG U.K. staffers boarded the same flight from Frankfurt to New York-JFK on Singapore’s Airbus A380.
That is the final leg of the Singapore – Frankfurt – New York daily service, which can be booked separately, since it’s a so-called fifth-freedom flight.
As always, we pay for our own flights, in points when possible or with cash when not. Here’s how you can book each class of service:
- Economy starting from $640 or 45,000 Singapore KrisFlyer miles round-trip
- Premium economy starting from $1,360 or 94,000 KrisFlyer miles round-trip
- Business class starting from $2,200 or 144,000 Singapore KrisFlyer miles round-trip
- Singapore Suites starting from $10,000 or 172,000 KrisFlyer miles round-trip
In the world-famous Suites class, Ben Smithson was treated to an incredible crew, complete privacy in the Suite, a comfortable bed, great lounge experience in Lufthansa’s Senator Lounge and the choice of Krug or Dom Perignon Champagne, of course. On the downside, he experienced a sticky Suite door and was disappointed in the lack of caviar.
In business class, Jean Arnas had a lovely, efficient crew, spacious leather seat that transformed to a lie-flat bed and beautifully presented food and drink. On the downside, he had little privacy, a dated in-flight entertainment system and a limited selection of food.
In premium economy, Nicky Kelvin had a similarly fantastic crew, great cocktail selection like the airline’s iconic Singapore Sling, a separate check-in desk with no line and a nice pillow and blanket. On the downside, he was disappointed with having the same meal selection as economy (though there was one extra choice) and with the lack of dedicated lavatories for the premium-economy cabin.
Meanwhile, all the way back in economy, Liam Spencer also had a great crew that provided lightning-fast and friendly service, a comfortable seat, plush pillow, well-stocked lavatories and seemingly endless inflight entertainment options. On the downside, he was served a lukewarm breakfast.
Unfortunately, all four passengers experienced unfriendly, bordering on rude, check-in agents which made for an unexpectedly unpleasant start to the trip.
But, in the end, the experience was just as predicted — great. Obviously, we’d all choose the Suites as our first pick, but it’s a testament to the quality of the airline that it can provide an enjoyable experience even for economy passengers in an era of increasingly wider separation between the classes of service.
Featured photo by Liam Spencer/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees