TPG Talks episode one: Use online shopping portals and apps to save money and earn miles from home
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We kicked off our ‘TPG Talks’ webinar series with an in-depth look at how to use online shopping portals and mobile applications to both save money and earn points and miles from home. Below you’ll find the recording of the first TPG Talk along with a few show notes and links to helpful posts we have.
In today’s show we discussed the basics of using online shopping portals, best practices to make sure your purchases are accurately tracked, the amazing power of CashbackMonitor.com, some of our favorite mobile apps that allow us to save money and finally the power of stacking multiple saving strategies into a single purchase.
- 6:33 – Introduction to Shopping Portals featuring the United MileagePlus Shopping Portal
- 8:50 – Shopping Portal Aggregators featuring CashbackMonitor
- 11:37 – When do earning rates change?
- 14:37 – Best practices for using Shopping Portals
- 15:53 – Overview of Rakuten (formerly Ebates) to earn cash back or Membership Rewards points for online and in-store purchases
- 20:40 – Apps to utilize for points and savings
- 29:15 – What security do these apps offer for your credit card information? What risks are there to the consumer?
- 31:11 – How to maximize purchases through Amazon
- 32:44 – Stacking for maximum points and savings
- 39:35 – Do you lose credit card protections by using a shopping portal or app?
- 40:31 – What options are available for online grocery delivery services?
- 42:45 – Uber Eats through Rakuten
- 43:33 – Do apps limit the number of cards that you can add?
- 44:15 – What apps should you start with?
- 46:02 – Evreward vs. CashbackMonitor
- 46:54 – Chrome Extensions
- 48:40 – Can you scan receipts into multiple apps?
- 49:22 – How do you not go crazy doing this?
- 50:58 – Can you pay with a gift card when using a shopping portal?
- 51:45 – Current no brainer deals
- 52:44 – Airline dining rewards programs
- 56:20 – What to do if your purchase isn’t credited
Follow-on reading and important links:
Sign-up for the apps discussed in today’s show:
(The above links are presenter referral links, we appreciate the support)
Be sure to catch all the future TPG Talks webinars live by registering for your spot. You can catch all of our upcoming live events across all of our online channels through our master calendar. You can also re-watch recordings of all previous TPG Talks on the TPG Learning Hub.
Featured photo by Tevarak Phanduang/EyeEm/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.