TPG Talks episode ten: The aviation industry and COVID-19
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week’s TPG Talks webinar focused on the aviation industry, one that has seen demand drop to historic lows over the course of just a few months. Senior Aviation Editor Ben Mutzabaugh joined us as we discussed how the airlines were forced to adapt to weather the storm and ensure their existence once the pandemic is over, even though it may take years to fully recover.
During the session, we covered topics like:
- The precipitous drop in demand
- The industry’s financial situation
- Fleet changes
- What the future might hold
If you missed the webinar, you can view a full recording right here — and then read on for show notes and additional, follow-up reading:
- 4:02 — Introduction to Ben
- 6:15 — The initial drop in demand
- 10:04 — Discussion of government support for airlines
- 11:16 — Financial state of airline industry
- 15:00 — Risks of airline bankruptcy
- 17:15 — Risks of increased prices given limited flights
- 24:23 — Discussion of cleaning procedures and packed flights
- 33:24 — Fleet adjustments
- 39:10 — Mask-wearing
- 44:54 — Looking to the future, including international flights
- 51:08 — Q&A
Follow-on reading and important links
- Airlines may face a tough fall after that summer uptick
- Delta likely to pull flights as number of US coronavirus cases rises
- As travel reopens, here’s what it’s like flying in the U.S. right now
- United and American may ban passengers who don’t wear masks
- Delta CEO: Wearing masks is about ‘respect,’ says flyers who refuse will be barred
- American removes capacity caps, increases health safety measures
- Airline coronavirus change and cancellation policies: A complete list of major carriers
TPG Talks is a series of live webinars hosted by team members from The Points Guy, covering various aspects of the travel, credit card and loyalty industries. Join from anywhere in the world on any device to learn tips and tricks that’ll get you closer to your next dream vacation.
For a list of previous sessions, visit our TPG Talks hub page, or click on any of the links below for individual recaps:
- TPG Talks #1: Online shopping portals
- TPG Talks #2: Under-the-radar loyalty programs
- TPG Talks #3: Future of cruising
- TPG Talks #4: Beginner’s guide
- TPG Talks #5: Travel changes and cancellations
- TPG Talks #6: New era of flight deals
- TPG Talks #7: Credit card strategy during COVID-19
- TPG Talks #8: Advanced redemption tactics
- TPG Talks #9: Disney and theme park reopening
Featured image by Ryan Patterson for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.