TPG Staff Picks: Our Favorite In-Flight Entertainment
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Like a good mid-flight snack, in-flight entertainment has a way of turning a boring long-haul flight into a relaxing experience. In the retro days of travel, if you didn’t have a good book or newspaper, your in-flight entertainment was limited to a single movie displayed on a central overhead screen and an armrest with a handful of audio channels. Today, airlines are keeping passengers satisfied with hours of inflight entertainment with everything from television shows, movies, music and Wi-Fi (when it’s reliable, of course).
Here at TPG, we’ve selected our go-to in-flight entertainment picks — because sometimes a good travel day comes down to what you choose to watch during your flight.
“‘Friends’ is my top choice. It always makes me laugh, and I can watch it again and again without getting bored. That said, if I fall asleep, I won’t be mad I missed something because I’ve seen it a million times.” — Lindsey Campbell, Social Media Director
“RuPaul’s Drag Race”
“I never use IFE because I’ve been burned too many times by nonfunctional systems, so I always download shows on my Macbook Pro and have fully charged Bose QC35. My current favorite show is RuPaul’s Drag Race season 10. My apologies to anyone on recent flights and my constant guffawing.” — Brian Kelly, The Points Guy
“This is Us”
“‘This is Us’ is my go-to pick for IFE — after ‘Friends,’ of course. That show guarantees to make me cry on a flight.”— Becca Denenberg, Director, Marketing & Communications
“’The O.C.’ is a favorite IFE for me. When I say I’m obsessed with the show and know basically every single line, I’m not kidding. It’s the best show to watch in any situation, but especially on a long flight.” — Samantha Rosen, Social Media Editor
“Besides playing around with the moving map, I’m realizing I love watching large-scale disaster flicks on flights. From ‘Godzilla’ to ‘Geostorm,’ and they don’t need to be particularly good, either.” — Wallace Cotton, Community Manager
“I either pass the time by catching up on a new series on my laptop — right now I’m working on ‘Stranger Things’ — or by playing ‘airplane movies’ on the IFE that I’d otherwise never watch. Like Wallace’s example of ‘Geostorm.’ A super crappy movie, but I didn’t feel bad about wasting two hours since I was going to be stuck in that seat either way.” — Zach Honig, Editor-at-Large
“She’s Gotta Have It”
“I’m a Netflix binge watching type, so I spend my time watching shows or movie from the comfort of my bed. So when flying, I definitely use the IFE to re-watch some of my fav shows like Spike’s Lee new show, ‘She’s Gotta Have It.’” — Alexa Noel, Editorial Intern
“I always seem to opt to watch ‘The Godfather’ on long flights — partly because I’ve seen it so many times, and it’s somewhat comforting; and partly because it’s so long, I can doze off and resume watching without feeling lost.” —Cindy Augustine, Lifestyle Editor
“Keeping Up with the Kardashians”
“Lately, my go-to show has been ‘Keeping up with the Kardashians.’ It’s mindless and a (not-so) guilty pleasure. I like to do work on flights and have some sort of background noise, so the Kardashian’s series of first-world-problems and designer lifestyles are the perfect way to channel into my work — their whiny voices are all the motivation I need from my seat in economy class!” — Jeffrey Preis, Editorial Intern
“When ‘Black Panther’ reaches IFEs, I’ll be spamming that movie for a number of flights to come.” — Katherine Fan, Freelance Writer
“I have no preference. I treat the IFE as a way to discover bands / shows I don’t know, or to finally watch movies that I haven’t seen on the ground.” — Alberto Riva, Managing Editor
Photo by Franziska Uhlmann / EyeEm / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.