Toxic Red Tide Spreads to Miami, Closes Beaches
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Thursday, Miami-Dade and Broward counties confirmed the presence of toxic algae blooms known as the red tide, which have been creeping along the Sunshine State’s east coast. This red tide may be one of the most severe in recent memory.
Though it’s not uncommon in the Gulf of Mexico, it’s rare to see red tide this far east.
Nicole Sharp, natural resources administrator at the Broward County Environmental Planning and Community Resilience Division, told the local New Times Broward-Palm Beach that only nine of 57 Gulf of Mexico algae blooms have traveled to Florida’s east coast since the division began keeping records.
Red tide has even been reported as far northeast as St. Lucie County, though contamination levels remain low. According to Sharp, the red algae blooms were carried east from the Gulf of Mexico, rather than occurring independently.
As a result of the new tests, double flags are flying over a handful of northern Miami beaches to indicate closures, including Haulover Beach. Also on Thursday, Palm Beach closed all county-managed beaches after receiving reports of eye and throat irritation, according to Weather.com.
The toxic chemicals produced by the red tide algae, Karenia brevis, have caused massive fish kills this year. More than 100 manatee deaths may be linked to brevetoxins from this red tide, and conservationists are especially concerned about the algae’s effects on sea turtle populations (hatching season runs through the end of October).
In addition to harming endangered marine life in Florida, the red tide can be harmful to humans, too. Beachgoers can experience coughing, sneezing, itching eyes and burning throats. The toxins are especially dangerous for people with serious respiratory conditions.
Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning, which can cause vomiting, nausea and neurological symptoms like slurred speech, has also linked to the consumption of seafood contaminated by red tide toxins.
Travelers planning to spend the fall or winter on a pristine stretch of Florida beach (or attending Art Basel Miami) should pay close attention to local reports this year, as the red tide continues to litter the shoreline with dead fish and fill the air with dangerous toxins.
Feature photo by Joe Cavaretta / South Florida Sun Sentinel / TNS.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees