Tourists Mistakenly Throw Dinosaur Tracks into Lake at a Utah State Park
Red Fleet State Park is having an issue and needs your help: If you are visiting the Utah state park and you see an imprinted rock, please leave it alone. Tourists at Red Fleet State Park have been removing dinosaur tracks imprinted in sandstone and throwing the pieces into a nearby reservoir, AP reports.
Red Fleet State Park is home to hundreds of dinosaur tracks that are believed to be more than 200 million years old. Over the past six months, the dinosaur track site has been vandalized, and the rocks have been heavily damaged as a result of visitors throwing these prehistoric rocks.
The park’s manager, Josh Hansen, told The Salt Lake Tribune that he caught one tourist tossing rocks into the lake, and was able to save two imprinted tracks from being destroyed. When the rocks are thrown into the water by people, they sink to the bottom of Red Fleet Reservoir— or worst— they are entirely destroyed.
Utah Division of State Parks Spokesman Devan Chavez said this is a “big problem” for the park. According to reports, Chavez noted that his conservative estimate is that at least 10 of the larger, more visible footprints have disappeared over the past six months.
As of now, preserving the sandstone is a top priority for Red Fleet State Park officials. Red Fleet State Park released a statement saying that displacing these prehistoric tracks is considered an act of vandalism and illegal. Thus, the park has placed signs stating do not disturb or throw any rocks at the site.
Featured image by sdbower/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.