Video Emerges of Another Tourist Taunting Sea Lions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the words of the infamous Chris Crocker — leave the sea lions alone. Not even 24 hours after a tourist was nearly mauled by a sea lion, a different tourist has stepped in to tempt fate in the very same place with the very same animal. And it was all captured on video, too.
The video was taken by an anonymous Sea Lion Trust volunteer on Allans Beach in Dunedin, New Zealand, a little more than 10 km from the original incident, which we reported on Tuesday. In the video, a surfer can be seen provoking three sea lions (two female, one male) on the beach. Eventually, he throws what looks to be a medium-sized rock at the sea mammals.
“I wish he’d trip on his bloody face,” says the camerawoman as the surfer ran at the sea lions.
The Department of Conservation in New Zealand believes that people and sea lions are capable of coexisting on Dunedin beaches and doesn’t plan on any closures or barring visitors. However, it strongly suggests keeping a 10-meter distance from the sea lions when they are sleeping and a 20-meter distance when they are awake — an action the surfer tourist did not observe.
Featured image by Christophe Simon/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees