Taxi Driver in Thailand Returns $10,000 to Tourist Who Accidentally Left It Behind
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On his way back to Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), Jerry Hart, an American tourist, left something very valuable in the taxi he took to the airport. Hart left almost $10,000 USD in the trunk of the car upon disembarking at the airport terminal, according The Daily Mail is reporting. Miraculously, Hart was reunited with the money after the extraordinarily honest driver noticed the cash.
Hart, age 47, was at Bangkok’s main international airport to catch his flight back to the United States when he realized that he had misplaced the small white fanny pack containing $9,800 USD. Around the same time, taxi driver Veeraphol Klamsiri was cleaning out his cab back at his house when he came across an unfamiliar item, which contained the money that Hart had misplaced. Klarmsiri knew that the money belonged to one of his passengers so he quickly made his way back to BKK to return the missing cash.
In a statement to The Daily Mail, Airport Director Kittipong Kittikachorn said of the incident, “When taxis enter the airport they must return all property of the customer. Tourists can feel safe that their belongings will always be taken care of even if they lose them or forget them.”
Klarmsiri told The Daily Mail that he had “never seen so much money in [his] life.” He went on to say that upon finding the money, he “panicked” as he knew it belonged to Hart.
Hart told The Daily Mail, “I’m very happy. I can’t believe my luck. I didn’t think I would see the money again.” He went on to say that he was “very grateful [for] the honesty of the taxi driver.” While Hart mentioned that he had vacationed in Thailand a few times before the incident, he said that the incident involving the honest cab driver cemented plans to relocate to Thailand when he retires.
TPG was unable to find a source with an explanation as to why Hart was traveling with such an excessive amount of cash on his person. Had Hart been in possession of an additional $200, he would have been legally required to declare the amount on his customs form upon arrival.
H/T: The Daily Mail
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees