Tourist Arrested in Australia for Possessing $3.5 Million Worth of Meth
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A tourist from Cyprus was caught at Sydney International Airport (SYD) in Australia attempting to smuggle four kilograms of solid, crystallized methamphetamine across the border.
The 47-year-old had arrived from Doha, Qatar (DOH) on Sunday. In a routine security check, the Australian Border Force X-rayed his luggage to find some interesting “inconsistencies.” After searching through the lining of the suitcase with a power drill, they discovered a crystalline substance hidden in the lining — which tested positive for $3.5 million worth of meth.
The Cyprus man was subsequently arrested by Sydney Police and charged with importing a commercial quantity of methamphetamine.
Back in June, a similar incident occurred in Melbourne, Australia when a Malaysia Airlines flight attendant was caught trying to smuggle $1.4 million of heroin into the country. He, like the Cyprus man, was arrested and charged with importing a commercial quantity of an illegal substance.
“We hope this sends a message to anyone thinking about importing illicit drugs, the odds are not in your favor and the penalties are severe,” said AFP’s Acting Sydney Airport Commander Simone O’Mahony. “We also want to highlight the community’s role in stopping this illegal trade. In understanding the social and financial impacts of these drugs.”
H/T: Daily Mail
Featured image courtesy of Australian Federal Police.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees