Touchscreen Technology Is Coming to Airliner Cockpits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Between phones, computers, ATM machines, and other kinds of electronics, it’s no question that touchscreen technology has changed the way the world functions. Even some cars can practically be fully operated through touchscreen displays now. But you won’t find any touchscreen displays in an airliner cockpit — until now. That’s changing.
Airbus is currently testing touchscreen displays on its A350-1000 development aircraft. “We will soon deliver touchscreens [on the A350] to a launch operator,” said Airbus A350 XWB marketing director François Obé, according to Flight Global. He did not say which airline, but A350-1000s, the biggest version of the plane, are being delivered to launch customers Qatar Airways and Cathay Pacific.
There’s no timescale for when the technology will be available, but Airbus assures that it’s coming soon and it already has customers for it.
Airbus intends to incorporate the touch-control function for the two onboard information system (OIS) displays and the central multi-function display (MFD). Now, pilots must use keyboards and cursor control units to navigate these displays. The new displays will be much simpler and function similar to tablets, including familiar gestures like pinch-to-zoom.
While Airbus will be the first manufacturer to offer touchscreen technology in airliner cockpits, it’s not the only one to be developing it. Boeing has plans to also debut touchscreen technology on its new 777X aircraft when it enters service in 2020.
The introduction of touchscreen technology to airliner cockpits is definitely an exciting development, though not a complete first for the industry. Gulfstream already offers it for some of its business jets. Airports around the world are also going digital and implementing touch-sensitive aviation technology, but most are outside the US.
Featured image of Airbus A350-900 cockpit by JT Genter / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees