This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With spring break season upon us, families across America are looking to experience more than just a theme park (although, not surprisingly, that still ranks high). According to a recent survey by Airbnb* of American travelers — in this case, defined as those over 18 with at least one child — more than three in five admit to staying within driving distance for their next family vacation, with less than 10% venturing to international destinations.
For families traveling via Airbnb this spring, this rings true — with nearly all of the top destinations located within the continental United States. Although Paris makes the top-10 list, the remaining destinations are a mix of urban and country locales.
These are the top spring break destinations for families, based on Airbnb bookings:
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Diego
- Washington, D.C.
- Central Florida Gulf Coast
- South Florida Gulf Coast
- Las Vegas
- Smoky Mountains
- Big Bear Lake
- Urban Orange County
With more than seven in 10 families planning at least one group vacation this year, beach getaways rank high on the priority list, with 36% expressing a desire to be close to a shoreline. On Airbnb, listings located along the coastlines are reflecting that, with Myrtle Beach (162%), Panama City Beach (151%), Greater Saint Augustine (131%) and the Alabama Gulf Coast (123%) in particular seeing a significant uptick in guest arrivals over the coming weeks, compared to last year.
Rural destinations are also on the rise, with Airbnb listings in the Smoky Mountains (221%), Flagstaff (183%), and the North Carolina mountains (151%) seeing a significant increase in travelers since last year.
The survey also revealed that the booking window for family travel this year is much shorter, with nearly half planning their vacations only one to three months in advance. When it comes to deciding on where to go, a few key factors come into play:
- Value (nearly half deemed it the most important factor when planning a family vacation)
- Peer reviews and recommendations (47% deemed it “very important”)
- Family-friendly amenities (with more than three in five stating Wi-Fi is the most important, followed by kitchens, cable television, pools and multiple rooms)
- Traveling tots (two-thirds of all respondents say that children are influential when it comes to deciding on a destination)
This February, Airbnb launched (among other things) its Family Collection; every home in the collection is highly rated with reviews from other families and provides complete privacy, plus the essentials a family needs for a comfortable stay.
*This Airbnb survey was conducted using the online survey platform Pollfish, and compiled by DKC Analytics, a division of DKC Public Affairs and Government Relations. The nationwide sample of 1003 adults in the United States was surveyed on March 15, 2018 in the United States. The margin of error is 3.15% and no additional weighting was done to the initial sample.
Photos courtesy of Airbnb
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel