Tokyo Metro Is Offering Free Noodles to Commuters Who Use Off-Peak Subway Lines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In an effort to relieve some of the overcrowding on the Tokyo metro, commuters who take subway lines outside of morning peak hours are being rewarded with free soba noodles and tempura.
With about 7.2 million people using the Tokyo’s metro system daily, it’s no surprise that it’s perhaps known best for “the crush” — or the effect of being so squished into one cart of a train that passengers can’t move their bodies or limbs. Now, the Tokyo Metro is taking steps to relieve the unpleasant overcrowding by targeting Tozai line passengers, which is one of the network’s most crowded routes, with free tempura and soba noodles for taking earlier trains.
“This is our most congested line. We are always trying to ease the rush hour congestion,” Takeshi Yamashita, a Tokyo Metro spokesman told AFP. “We hope this will encourage people to continue (taking early trains) to help ease the rush hour situation.”
The challenge is running from Jan. 21 until Feb. 1 and goes as follows: If a minimum of 2,000 commuters take an earlier train between these dates, they’ll receive free tempura. If 2,500 do, they’ll get free soba noodles. And, finally, if 3,000 commuters take earlier trains to work, they’ll receive a bowl of free tempura and soba.
Featured image by Craig Ferguson/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees