Tokyo Metro Is Offering Free Noodles to Commuters Who Use Off-Peak Subway Lines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In an effort to relieve some of the overcrowding on the Tokyo metro, commuters who take subway lines outside of morning peak hours are being rewarded with free soba noodles and tempura.
With about 7.2 million people using the Tokyo’s metro system daily, it’s no surprise that it’s perhaps known best for “the crush” — or the effect of being so squished into one cart of a train that passengers can’t move their bodies or limbs. Now, the Tokyo Metro is taking steps to relieve the unpleasant overcrowding by targeting Tozai line passengers, which is one of the network’s most crowded routes, with free tempura and soba noodles for taking earlier trains.
“This is our most congested line. We are always trying to ease the rush hour congestion,” Takeshi Yamashita, a Tokyo Metro spokesman told AFP. “We hope this will encourage people to continue (taking early trains) to help ease the rush hour situation.”
The challenge is running from Jan. 21 until Feb. 1 and goes as follows: If a minimum of 2,000 commuters take an earlier train between these dates, they’ll receive free tempura. If 2,500 do, they’ll get free soba noodles. And, finally, if 3,000 commuters take earlier trains to work, they’ll receive a bowl of free tempura and soba.
Featured image by Craig Ferguson/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.