This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re in the market for Apple product, today could be the day to act. The United MileagePlus shopping portal is running a promotion that offers 6 miles per dollar spent on purchases from Apple.com, up from the normal 1 mile per dollar. But you’ll want to act fast since the increased bonus ends today.
Given that many Apple products are on the expensive side, you could earn a boatload of miles on your purchases if you go through the United portal today.
If you went through the United portal to purchase the iPhone X, with a base model retailing for $999, you’d earn about 6,000 miles on that purchase. That’s an 8.4% return based on TPG’s valuations, which peg United miles at 1.4 apiece. You can use those miles on a United flight or for a flight one of its many Star Alliance partners such as Singapore Airlines.
Make sure to check the terms to confirm you’re purchasing an eligible item, since some products aren’t part of the bonus:
And be sure to use the right credit card to maximize your purchase. Cards like the Chase Freedom Unlimited or The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express are good options if you want to maximize your points earning. A card with great purchase protection like the Ink Business Cash Credit Card can work too. You can also consult our guide on 6 Things to Consider When Choosing a Credit Card for Large Purchases.
Apple appears to have increased bonuses at other airline portals too, although none are as lucrative:
To earn the bonus, head over to the Apple’s page on the United shopping portal, click “shop now” and purchase your desired item.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees