This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re in the market for Apple product, today could be the day to act. The United MileagePlus shopping portal is running a promotion that offers 6 miles per dollar spent on purchases from Apple.com, up from the normal 1 mile per dollar. But you’ll want to act fast since the increased bonus ends today.
Given that many Apple products are on the expensive side, you could earn a boatload of miles on your purchases if you go through the United portal today.
If you went through the United portal to purchase the iPhone X, with a base model retailing for $999, you’d earn about 6,000 miles on that purchase. That’s an 8.4% return based on TPG’s valuations, which peg United miles at 1.4 apiece. You can use those miles on a United flight or for a flight one of its many Star Alliance partners such as Singapore Airlines.
Make sure to check the terms to confirm you’re purchasing an eligible item, since some products aren’t part of the bonus:
And be sure to use the right credit card to maximize your purchase. Cards like the Chase Freedom Unlimited or The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express are good options if you want to maximize your points earning. A card with great purchase protection like the Ink Business Cash Credit Card can work too. You can also consult our guide on 6 Things to Consider When Choosing a Credit Card for Large Purchases.
Apple appears to have increased bonuses at other airline portals too, although none are as lucrative:
To earn the bonus, head over to the Apple’s page on the United shopping portal, click “shop now” and purchase your desired item.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees