Today Could Likely Be TSA’s Busiest Day in History
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Heading to the airport today? Brace yourself for lots of other travelers making their way through security – today the Transportation Security Administration is predicting the busiest day in its history.
In a blog post, TSA sent out some helpful tips to those flying during the record-breaking travel window leading up to the Fourth of July. Included in the piece, TSA said that, today, it “projects to screen approximately 2.7 million passengers and crew,” making it “possible that TSA will set a new record for the busiest single day ever on this date.”
TSA’s Assistant Administrator of Public Affairs, Michael Bilello (@TSA_Bilello), tweeted out an infographic outlining some stats on the travel season. The image shows that the busiest travel day preceding what’s projected today was the day after Thanksgiving in 2014. It also points out that the heavy travel period will likely last until July 9.
AvGeek Jason Rabinowitz (@AirlineFlyer) tweeted another surprising stat about today in travel, telling approximately how many people will be flying in just NYC airports – and, to put it into perspective, how many A380s they can fill.
On that note, be sure to review the guidelines on what you can and can’t bring with you through security to ensure an airport experience that’s as smooth as possible, considering the influx of people during this time. TSA also has explicitly reminded travelers not to fly with fireworks leading up to the Fourth of July (and any other time for that matter).
Travelers may also see a backup at the airport due to bad weather.
FAA News tweeted that there are possible delays at several major airports in the US. Rain may affect flights in Hartsfield-Jackson (ATL) and Miami International (MIA). Winds may affect flights in Newark (EWR), Kennedy (JFK) and La Guardia (LGA). Clouds may affect flights in Los Angeles (LAX), San Diego (SAN) and Seattle–Tacoma International (SEA).
Featured image by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.