A Thomas Cook Airbus A330 Drew a Giant Heart in the Sky
A Thomas Cook Scandinavia Airbus A330 took a rather interesting route on a Dec. 26 morning flight. Thomas Cook Scandinavia flight DK4501 departed from Stockholm, arriving back at Stockholm around an hour later. This was a test flight, as the aircraft was recently sold to Thomas Cook by Air Transat. While test flights like this one are quite common, the route the pilots opted to take was far from routine.
Thomas Cook Scandinavia is the Danish version of the popular English leisure airline, Thomas Cook Airlines. Founded in 2008, Thomas Cook Scandinavia has a surprisingly large and well-rounded fleet. Thomas Cook Scandinavia’s fifth Airbus A330 entered the fleet in early December, and has been undergoing the required test flights before launching into service. On the aircraft’s most recent test flight, the pilots decided to get creative with the routing and drew a heart in the sky.
Taking advantage of GPS and other navigational systems, the Thomas Cook Scandinavia pilots in control of DK4501 flew the Airbus A330 so that the route would trace a heart. Over the 1-hour and 3-minute flight, Dk4501 traced a heart that measures over 35 miles in length and width. While the heart isn’t visible in the sky, free flight trackers like Flightradar24 allow anyone to see the massive shape.
While you might think a Christmas tree or a snowflake might be more fitting for this late-December flight, a quick glance at the Thomas Cook Group’s logo shows why a heart is quite fitting. Since 2013, the Thomas Cook Group has branded its travel and holiday products with a golden heart. The heart is found in logos, on websites and the side of the aircraft. Plus, a heart is a much more achievable shape to trace in such a short amount of time.
This isn’t the first time pilots decided to get creative on a test flight. On a test flight from Everett-Paine Field near Seattle, Boeing 737 MAX 8 pilots traced the word MAX over much of the Western US. Pilots have also traced Christmas trees and Boeing 787 pilots have even traced the 787 Dreamliner logo in great detail.
Featured image via Flightradar24
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees