This Was Uber’s Most Visited Tourist Destination in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Now that Uber is a global company, it has heaps of data on how people move all over the world. It’s using that data to help urban planners, but has also been caught in some sticky situations with tracking riders and drivers after they’ve closed out of the app.
However, it’s lead to some interesting findings about the way people use the service, which the ride-hailing company released in its key global trends from 2018 as well as predictions for 2019.
Uber is a popular tool to use when traveling, so the company listed its top 15 tourists destinations for 2018. And they aren’t all that surprising:
- Empire State Building
- Freedom Tower
- CN Tower
- Arc de Triomphe
- Eiffel Tower
- Burj Khalifa
- Buckingham Palace
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Sydney Opera House
- The Blue Mosque
- Berlin Wall
- The Vatican
- Christ the Redeemer
- Great Pyramid of Giza
Uber even claims to have found someone who’d give Brian Kelly or Zach Honig a run for their money, this person took Uber trips in more than 126 cities this year!
The busiest day of the year for Uber was St. Patrick’s Day, and living up to the title of “The City That Never Sleeps,” New Yorkers took the most rides after 2am.
In terms of actual miles traveled the US, Brazil and India took the top three spots, which can be explained considering their large populations and sprawling geography.
Not to be forgotten, riders of Uber’s new scooters and Jump Bikes have already put nearly 4.1 million miles on the services.
One of fastest growing parts of Uber’s business is its food delivery service, Uber Eats. True to its millennial user base, the two trendiest food items were toast and avocado. Here are the top 25 food items ordered through the service:
- Black colored foods/goth food
- Brown Rice
Two standout orders include $1,546 spent on one order of Chinese pastries and another $995 order from Papa John’s pizzas. Seattle saw the most coffee orders out of any cities, likely from a little known business named Starbucks…
Uber says it’s seeing more people turn to healthier food options instead of the traditional delivery foods like pizza and Chinese food. That includes vegetarian items like tofu and seitan as well as other plant-based foods like bee pollen and edible flowers. Fermented foods (i.e. kombucha and kimchi) and alternative milks (i.e. pea milk) are on the rise on the delivery service.
Finally, the survey found that recently trendy foods are on the decline as we approach the new year. These include instagram favorites like acai and rainbow-colored foods:
- Brussel sprouts
- Unicorn / rainbow foods
- Aloe vera
- Millennial pink foods
- Cold brew
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees