This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Remember that beach from “The Beach” that was closed for the past four months? Well, we have some not-so-sunny news: It’s closing indefinitely.
Maya Bay in Thailand was made popular from the 2000 Leonardo DiCaprio film — so popular that officials closed it from June to September to repair some of the damage to coral reefs around the Phi Phi islands due to tourism. It was originally just supposed to be closed for a few months, although some were hoping for a more permanent option such as this one.
This week, officials from Thailand’s Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) said “The ecosystem and the beach’s physical structure have yet returned to its full condition,” said the letter, in Thai, adding that they would extend the closure from October onward “until natural resources return to normal.”
While Thailand regularly closes beaches, national parks and islands due to weather and ecological recovery, this is the first time it’s happened in Maya Bay, reports CNN.
Tourism was so popular there that visitor numbers multiplied by the minute as boats trickled in throughout the day. The DNP also stated it expected to see a whopping 2.5 million tourists at the bay this year.
Featured image courtesy of Getty.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees