Passenger Finds His Laptop Stolen by Airplane Cleaning Crew
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Leaving a personal item behind on a plane could be a traveler’s worst nightmare. When it happens, typically the only option is to file a claim with the airline’s lost and found department. However, when losing an electronic device, you may be able to take matters into your own hands and track down it using a location app.
That is exactly what one airline passenger did after he accidentally left his laptop on a Delta aircraft at the Atlanta airport last Thursday. After using a tracking app to find the location of his laptop, the man was surprised to see where it had actually ended up.
“I called Delta, tried to get them to track it down,” the man told WSB-TV. “They just put me through to lost and found and I left a voicemail.”
Instead of waiting for a call back from the airline, he decided to do some detective work of his own. The passenger opened up the Find My iPhone app on his phone and tracked down his laptop to an address less than 10 minutes away from the airport. He reported the information to the police, who then went to the address and spoke with the man living there.
The man admitted to the detectives that he cleans planes at the airport for a living and that he had taken the laptop off the plane and sold it for $500. Luckily, authorities were able to persuade the swiper to call the buyer and buy back the laptop. By the end of the ordeal, the original owner of the laptop was reunited with his device.
“Probably a lot of people after a long day of travel forget phones, laptops, whatever — and the fact that it can be so brazenly taken right out of an airport is frustrating and I think a little bit scary in the bigger picture,” he said.
A Delta spokesperson said that they were looking into the matter and that it was unlikely that the culprit was a Delta employee since they subcontract their cleaning crews. The local police said that the investigation is ongoing and charges could be pending.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees