This Maldives Luxury Resort Is Hiring an ‘Outgoing’ Bookseller
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Love reading, beaches and people? A luxury resort in the Maldives could be your next employer.
Philip Blackwell, the former head of British book retailer chain Blackwells, is looking for a qualified bookseller to manage a pop-up book shop, hosted by Maldives luxury resort Soneva Fushi and set to open on Oct. 1. In addition to selling a literary collection primarily consisting of illustrated tomes focused on design and locally-inspired art, the lucky candidate’s job duties will also include penning “entertaining and lively blog” posts about his or her travel experiences, as well as hosting creative writing courses. Where do the people skills come in? The position also involves rubbing shoulders with A-list celebrities and their friends.
“We want someone on the ground who is creative and inspiring and can maybe get more people to share the pleasure of reading, which is what people enjoy doing on holiday,” said Blackwell, who is a descendant of the original founder of Blackwells and now operates Ultimate Library, which creates library collections for resort hotels such as JW Marriott.
This is a hands-on job: Applicants must be willing to move near Soneva Fushi, which is located within the Baa Atoll UNESCO Biosphere Reserve 30 minutes by sea plane from Malé International Airport (MLE). Villas at Soneva Fushi range in cost from $2,000 a night for a one-bed property, up to a nightly rate of nearly $26,000 for the nine-bedroom Private Reserve, which features its own swimming pool, spa, sauna and steam room. While housing is included in the job perks, chances are high that the successful candidate would be housed in far more modest lodgings. The position requires a commitment of at least three months.
This isn’t your average dream gig. In fact, this position is so bougie, the job listing paywalled behind Book Brunch, a UK book industry website that not only requires registration, but also requires a $20 one-day subscription to access.
Even so, Blackwell admits that this position isn’t the one that will fund your retirement savings. Instead, the benefits come from the environment itself. “The pay is derisory but the fringe benefits unparalleled,” Blackwell said. “The role will evolve, and it is in part up to you to make the most of this unique opportunity. It’s a dream job for many people. If I was 25 again I would do it.”
Think you’ve got what it takes? Drop Blackwell an email touting your qualifications at email@example.com.
2018 seems to be the year for dream jobs: a London bar is hiring a gin ambassador, Wyndham had an open-call for a sunset photographer intern, BBQ fanatics were offered $10,000 to eat delicious meat across the US, cat lovers were solicited to care for 55 cats on a Greek island, and WOW Air sought out two best friends to travel the world on its dime.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees