This Koala Had an Entire Row to Himself on a Flight to Scotland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You may have encountered dogs, cats and possibly even pigs (we said possibly) flying in the cabin during your travels. But have you ever received a seat assignment next to a koala?
On the evening of Aug. 9, Tanami, a 19-month-old koala, boarded a Eurowings A320 for his 700-mile trip from Dusseldorf, Germany (DUS) to Edinburgh, Scotland (EDI).
Tanami, a Queensland koala, was headed to his new habitat at the Edinburgh Zoo as part of a conservation breeding program. He will be one of only three koalas in the UK — so the little fella’s safety took top priority.
As a result, Tanami didn’t travel in the cargo hold like the four koalas who flew with Qantas from Brisbane (BNE) to Singapore (SIN) in 2015 — nor did he find himself squished in the dreaded middle seat. Instead, Tanami had an entire row to himself: about as close as a koala can come to inflight luxury without flying business or first class.
Photos taken of Tanami’s travels show him seated onboard in his carrier, munching on eucalyptus leaves.
In a statement, Darren McGarry, Edinburgh Zoo’s head of living collections, said that koalas are particularly sensitive animals, and “special care needs to be taken when transporting them.” Hence, Tanami’s VIP-treatment in the cabin.
By traveling in the cabin, McGarry explained, Tanami’s keepers “[could] easily make sure everything [was] OK during the flight.”
According to Gordon Dewar, EDI’s chief executive, Tanami was an A-lister at the airport, too. “We welcome passengers from all over the world to Edinburgh Airport,” Dewar said. “But not all of them are as special or as cute as a koala.”
If having a koala as a seatmate sounds like a dream, you may be in luck. Tanami is swapping homes with Toorie, a young male koala from Edinburgh Zoo. Toorie is moving into Germany’s Duisburg Zoo (less than 30 minutes from the airport) this week, so if DUS is on your travel itinerary, watch out for a jetsetting koala snacking on eucalyptus during snack service.
And according to McGarry, Tanami is already feeling right at home in Scotland. “It’s great to see [him] settling in well and enjoying his new surroundings.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees