This Hiker May Have to Pay For His Own Search And Rescue Mission
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Massachusetts man may get an expensive life lesson on taking the buddy system seriously — at least when in the woods.
A couple of weeks ago, Massachusetts hiker Christophe Chamley told his wife he would return on April 23 from a hike in the White Mountains. When the 70-year-old man, who has an undisclosed medical condition, hadn’t return by 3:48am the following morning, his wife naturally called 911.
The New Hampshire State Police were able to find Chamley’s car at the Appalachian Mountain Club Pinkham Notch around 7am on April 24, but couldn’t find any trace of the man himself. So by 10am, the full spectrum of troops were rallied: the New Hampshire Fish and Game department, Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue, US Forest Service, snowcats from the Mount Washington State Park and a National Guard helicopter all got involved in the search for Chamley.
Fortunately for all involved, authorities spoke with nearby the Mount Washington Hotel during the search and discovered that Chamley had checked in at 1am. Earlier in the evening, Chamley had messaged his wife to let her know that he was unable to complete his planned route and had decided to spend the night in the hotel instead. Unfortunately, the message didn’t go through. Exhausted from his efforts, Chamley also didn’t realize that a search for him was underway because he didn’t wake up until around 11am.
The New Hampshire Fish and Game department will submit its expenses for the search to the state attorney general’s office and will decide at a later date if Chamley will be held responsible for covering those fees.
Featured image by Adam Gray / Barcroft Images / Barcroft Media via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees