This Fitness Retreat Is Designed to Give Back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to join a fitness retreat that’s as good for you as it is for the world? Last May, personal trainer and FITNUT founder Josh Grimm launched fitness retreats for the LGBTQ community. In addition to twice-daily workouts, private excursions, seed-to-table meals and upscale resorts, the retreats also give back to local residents.
“I developed a passion for [fitness] when I was traveling in Southeast Asia,” Grimm told TPG. “I started volunteering with a couple of organizations in Cambodia, and it inspired me to be a better person.”
Now, seven years later, Grimm is busy designing elevated fitness retreats that mix stunning destinations with philanthropy and — of course — plenty of sweat.
During his upcoming Mallorca retreat in October, for example, participants will mix high-intensity workouts with exclusive vineyard tours and a luxury stay at the 15th-century Son Julia Country House and Spa.
“I like to [work] with the landscape available,” Grimm said, explaining how a beach workout might feature sand bags filled onsite. And if mountains punctuate the scenery, participants should probably expect to hike up them.
For the first time, Grimm will also be organizing a local volunteer experience, available to all interested members of the retreat.
“The [volunteer or service work] changes based on the needs of the particular community,” Grimm said.
What’s more, a percentage of all the proceeds from the fitness retreat will go to the largest LGBTQ civil rights advocacy group in the US, the Human Rights Campaign.
Can’t make it to Mallorca next month? Grimm’s next retreat will be in Palm Springs, California, in February — and plans are already in the works for retreats in Costa Rica and either Greece or Thailand later in 2019. All of them will be exclusively for LGBTQ travelers.
“As a proud gay man that has always been comfortable with his sexuality … I’m well aware that is not the case for all members of the LGBTQ community,” Grimm said. “I wanted to combine my biggest passions — travel, fitness, service charity work and helping others along their personal journeys of self-fulfillment — into one shared experience of like-minded [people]. I don’t have these retreats just to be a coach, but rather, a leader.”
To join a FITNUT retreat, reservations can be made through Ketanga Fitness.
Feature image courtesy of Dennis Fischer Photography / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees