This Fitness Retreat Is Designed to Give Back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to join a fitness retreat that’s as good for you as it is for the world? Last May, personal trainer and FITNUT founder Josh Grimm launched fitness retreats for the LGBTQ community. In addition to twice-daily workouts, private excursions, seed-to-table meals and upscale resorts, the retreats also give back to local residents.
“I developed a passion for [fitness] when I was traveling in Southeast Asia,” Grimm told TPG. “I started volunteering with a couple of organizations in Cambodia, and it inspired me to be a better person.”
Now, seven years later, Grimm is busy designing elevated fitness retreats that mix stunning destinations with philanthropy and — of course — plenty of sweat.
During his upcoming Mallorca retreat in October, for example, participants will mix high-intensity workouts with exclusive vineyard tours and a luxury stay at the 15th-century Son Julia Country House and Spa.
“I like to [work] with the landscape available,” Grimm said, explaining how a beach workout might feature sand bags filled onsite. And if mountains punctuate the scenery, participants should probably expect to hike up them.
For the first time, Grimm will also be organizing a local volunteer experience, available to all interested members of the retreat.
“The [volunteer or service work] changes based on the needs of the particular community,” Grimm said.
What’s more, a percentage of all the proceeds from the fitness retreat will go to the largest LGBTQ civil rights advocacy group in the US, the Human Rights Campaign.
Can’t make it to Mallorca next month? Grimm’s next retreat will be in Palm Springs, California, in February — and plans are already in the works for retreats in Costa Rica and either Greece or Thailand later in 2019. All of them will be exclusively for LGBTQ travelers.
“As a proud gay man that has always been comfortable with his sexuality … I’m well aware that is not the case for all members of the LGBTQ community,” Grimm said. “I wanted to combine my biggest passions — travel, fitness, service charity work and helping others along their personal journeys of self-fulfillment — into one shared experience of like-minded [people]. I don’t have these retreats just to be a coach, but rather, a leader.”
To join a FITNUT retreat, reservations can be made through Ketanga Fitness.
Feature image courtesy of Dennis Fischer Photography / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees