This Avios Promo Can Easily Get You $100 Off Flights to Europe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways has just launched a points promotion that can get some solid discounts on flights to London or the rest of Europe.
The airline’s award miles, called Avios, can be used to book normal award flights on British Airways and its Oneworld partners. But the program also has an option called Avios part payment, where Avios are worth a set amount and discount the cash price of British Airways and American Airlines revenue tickets.
Normally, you can use 14,400 Avios for up to a $116 discount using part payment. But for a limited time, you’ll now only need 5,000 Avios, which gives you a flat $100 discount. That gives Avios a 2 cent valuation, significantly higher than TPG’s 1.5 cent valuation. This discount is only valid on British Airways and American flights originating in the US to London and Europe.
For example, this nonstop round-trip British Airways flight between New York and London normally costs $514.
But after selecting the part payment option, you’ll see the price drop to $414.
To take advantage of the promotion, you’ll only need 5,000 Avios in your account. I’d recommend searching on Google Flights for your preferred origin and destination and filtering out all other airlines but British Airways and American Airlines. Once you’ve found a flight that works for you, head to BritishAirways.com and log into your Executive Club account and plug in your travel dates and select your flights. From there, click the part payment option and your $100 discount should be applied.
Tickets need to be booked by midnight on Tuesday, Feb. 26, for the discount to work. Even better, there are no restrictions on dates and travelers — so this could save your family some serious cash if you’re thinking of heading to Europe in the summer.
You can apply the discount on flights all the way through Dec. 31, 2019, and can get $100 off per passenger (up to nine) as long as you have enough Avios in your account. If you’re only traveling one-way, you can use just 2,500 Avios for a $50 discount.
Finally, since part payment discounts a revenue ticket, you’ll still earn Avios and British Airways Tier Points (or another BA partner’s elite and redeemable miles, like American Airlines) for the flight.
Chase Ultimate Rewards and Amex Membership Rewards can both be instantly transferred to Avios at a 1:1 ratio. If you don’t want to sacrifice any points, remember the AARP discount for British Airways flights is still around, which can save travelers $65 on round-trip British Airways economy flights.
It doesn’t appear that this Avios promotion is stackable with the 10% discount that the British Airways Visa Signature Card offers on British Airways flights. The card currently has a welcome bonus offering 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. Plus earn a Travel Together Ticket after you spend $20,000 total on purchases within your first year of account opening.
Featured image by Scott Barbour/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.