This Aircraft Manufacturer Thinks Flexible Displays Could Revolutionize Inflight Entertainment
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flexible displays are held in high regard across the consumer technology space. While we’ve seen them implemented in certain high-end televisions and outdoor signage installations, they’ve yet to become ubiquitous in the consumer space. If Airbus has its way, however, we may well enjoy the spoils on a commercial jet in the future.
The company responsible for some of the more anticipated birds of the next decade, the A220 and A330-900neo chief among them, is anticipating a future where a seatback monitor could wrap around the edges of a headrest if desired. Or, a future where flexible sensors are embedded at various points on a seat in order to regulate temperature based on how hard you just ran to catch your connecting flight.
Airbus China Innovation Centre (ACIC) has inked a memorandum of understanding with Royole Technology — a company with expertise in creating flexible displays, flexible sensors and foldable smartphones — to “develop applications that implement flexible electronic technologies in cabin environments and investigate the possibilities for commercial cooperation.”
Now, this isn’t confirmation that we’ll see flexible IFE panels, but it is exciting to think of what will transpire as the brainstorming sessions begin. Airbus has committed to building “a futurized, digitalized and personalized cabin to further improve the cabin environment, cabin safety and energy saving,” which could take many shapes and forms.
One could envision a business or first-class cabin with wraparound displays that showcase high resolution video of Maui during a boarding to Kahului (OGG), or a cabin with increased foot space due to fewer electronics required to power the IFE. It’s also possible that flexible displays could allow smaller, regional jets to sport some level of inflight entertainment where space has previously been an issue. Whatever reality awaits us, we’re eager to see it play out.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees