15 Ways to Make Your Wait at Airport Security Less Miserable
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fear not, hopeless wanderer. Since we don’t want you to completely lose your mind — or waste your time — we’ve rounded up 17 of the best activities you can do while standing in what may seem to be a never-ending security line caused by a seemingly never-ending government shutdown.
1. Apply for CLEAR, PreCheck and Global Entry
Because over your dead body are you waiting in a line like this again. Pro tip: Get a credit card that pays for it. You’re welcome.
View this post on Instagram
While there have been reports of long @tsa lines at various airports, my experience with Pre-check has been business as usual (5-10 mins) for my 10 flights this past month. What has your experience been?
A post shared by Brian Kelly (@briankelly) on
2. Marie Kondo Your Inbox
If you’ve been dreaming of Inbox Zero but can never find the time, well, now you have time! Lots of it. Does this work email spark joy? Nope? Bye!!
3. Play a Game
How about a round of “Would You Rather?” For example, would you rather spend the rest of this day on a security line or never be able to travel again? Would you rather get stranded in Newfoundland or Siberia? Decisions, decisions.
4. Get Some Perspective
Remind yourself that, although you are stranded in a TSA security line, at least you’re not, you know … stranded in Siberia.
5. Start the Wave
You have a big, probably restless group of people. Get everyone in the spirit with the wave, or form a giant conga line.
6. Strike up a Conversation
Misery loves company. Chat with the people in front of and behind you. Ask them about their hopes, dreams and their preferred credit card. If they say the words, “debit card” you know what to do, disciples.
7. Go Through Old Facebook Messages
You thought wasting away in an airport security line was bad? Try reading through old Facebook messages from your ex. We finally found something more uncomfortable than sitting in economy for 18 hours!
8. Quiz Yourself on Planes
What aircraft can cram in 10 economy passengers in a row? What models are double-deckers? Depending on the airport and how long the line is, you might even be able to spot actual planes in the wild while you wait. What fun!
9. Listen to a Podcast
10. Start Writing a Book
Or finish a book! You’ll never have more inspiration for characters than the airport security line.
11. Answer Questions That Haunt You
What does your favorite credit card say about you? When should you use cash instead of miles for a flight? Why are people paying money to sit in a box the size of a bathroom stall at LaGuardia? What a world we live in.
12. Sign up for Our Newsletter
Could there a better way to start your day than with the latest from your favorite website? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Plus, it’s new and improved!
13. Make a Bet With Your Travel Companion
Who in this line is going to opt for a pat down rather than go through the scanners? What fool is going to forget about the grenade-shaped item they left in their carry-on and cause an airport shutdown? Winner gets both armrests.
14. Follow Us on Instagram
What did you expect? I do manage our social media.
15. Spread the Word
Tell everyone within earshot about this website called The Points Guy and brag about how you’re on your way to Nirvana (a fancy airport lounge and free lie-flat seat paid for with points and miles). Assuming you ever get through airport security, of course.
Featured image courtesy Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees