15 Ways to Make Your Wait at Airport Security Less Miserable
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fear not, hopeless wanderer. Since we don’t want you to completely lose your mind — or waste your time — we’ve rounded up 17 of the best activities you can do while standing in what may seem to be a never-ending security line caused by a seemingly never-ending government shutdown.
1. Apply for CLEAR, PreCheck and Global Entry
Because over your dead body are you waiting in a line like this again. Pro tip: Get a credit card that pays for it. You’re welcome.
View this post on Instagram
While there have been reports of long @tsa lines at various airports, my experience with Pre-check has been business as usual (5-10 mins) for my 10 flights this past month. What has your experience been?
A post shared by Brian Kelly (@briankelly) on
2. Marie Kondo Your Inbox
If you’ve been dreaming of Inbox Zero but can never find the time, well, now you have time! Lots of it. Does this work email spark joy? Nope? Bye!!
3. Play a Game
How about a round of “Would You Rather?” For example, would you rather spend the rest of this day on a security line or never be able to travel again? Would you rather get stranded in Newfoundland or Siberia? Decisions, decisions.
4. Get Some Perspective
Remind yourself that, although you are stranded in a TSA security line, at least you’re not, you know … stranded in Siberia.
5. Start the Wave
You have a big, probably restless group of people. Get everyone in the spirit with the wave, or form a giant conga line.
6. Strike up a Conversation
Misery loves company. Chat with the people in front of and behind you. Ask them about their hopes, dreams and their preferred credit card. If they say the words, “debit card” you know what to do, disciples.
7. Go Through Old Facebook Messages
You thought wasting away in an airport security line was bad? Try reading through old Facebook messages from your ex. We finally found something more uncomfortable than sitting in economy for 18 hours!
8. Quiz Yourself on Planes
What aircraft can cram in 10 economy passengers in a row? What models are double-deckers? Depending on the airport and how long the line is, you might even be able to spot actual planes in the wild while you wait. What fun!
9. Listen to a Podcast
10. Start Writing a Book
Or finish a book! You’ll never have more inspiration for characters than the airport security line.
11. Answer Questions That Haunt You
What does your favorite credit card say about you? When should you use cash instead of miles for a flight? Why are people paying money to sit in a box the size of a bathroom stall at LaGuardia? What a world we live in.
12. Sign up for Our Newsletter
Could there a better way to start your day than with the latest from your favorite website? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Plus, it’s new and improved!
13. Make a Bet With Your Travel Companion
Who in this line is going to opt for a pat down rather than go through the scanners? What fool is going to forget about the grenade-shaped item they left in their carry-on and cause an airport shutdown? Winner gets both armrests.
14. Follow Us on Instagram
What did you expect? I do manage our social media.
15. Spread the Word
Tell everyone within earshot about this website called The Points Guy and brag about how you’re on your way to Nirvana (a fancy airport lounge and free lie-flat seat paid for with points and miles). Assuming you ever get through airport security, of course.
Featured image courtesy Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.