Thieves Are Targeting This Popular NYC Hotel
New York’s Standard Hotel has become the target of a pair of thieves who specialize in snatching plastic from unlocked rooms while guests are sound asleep.
The first reported incident took place on Oct. 2 just before 2am, according to a Canadian victim who, in a sleepy haze, simply thought the duo were hotel staff. The thieves made off with two IDs and a debit card from the Canuck, who didn’t realize what took place until the following morning.
The thieves struck again on Oct. 14, this time at 2:30 in the afternoon. This victim was also napping in his room at the time, awaking to discover his debit card and $30 cash missing from the wallet he left on the table.
“Maintaining the safety of our guests is always our primary concern,” Sophie Russell the Standard’s vice president of hospitality, told TPG in an email. “We are working closely with the authorities as they investigate this matter.”
Gangs of thieves have been known to try to gain access to hotel rooms to steal the occupants’ personal items and valuables. The problem is especially rampant in Paris, where authorities were warning tourists of so-called “hotel rats” earlier this year.
As a rule of thumb, always use the chain lock or bar lock when you are inside your hotel room because some skilled thieves know how to pick the electronic door lock. Also, keep any valuables like electronics or passports inside the room’s safe.
Featured photo by littleny / Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.