Thieves Are Targeting This Popular NYC Hotel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York’s Standard Hotel has become the target of a pair of thieves who specialize in snatching plastic from unlocked rooms while guests are sound asleep.
The first reported incident took place on Oct. 2 just before 2am, according to a Canadian victim who, in a sleepy haze, simply thought the duo were hotel staff. The thieves made off with two IDs and a debit card from the Canuck, who didn’t realize what took place until the following morning.
The thieves struck again on Oct. 14, this time at 2:30 in the afternoon. This victim was also napping in his room at the time, awaking to discover his debit card and $30 cash missing from the wallet he left on the table.
“Maintaining the safety of our guests is always our primary concern,” Sophie Russell the Standard’s vice president of hospitality, told TPG in an email. “We are working closely with the authorities as they investigate this matter.”
Gangs of thieves have been known to try to gain access to hotel rooms to steal the occupants’ personal items and valuables. The problem is especially rampant in Paris, where authorities were warning tourists of so-called “hotel rats” earlier this year.
As a rule of thumb, always use the chain lock or bar lock when you are inside your hotel room because some skilled thieves know how to pick the electronic door lock. Also, keep any valuables like electronics or passports inside the room’s safe.
Featured photo by littleny / Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees