These Guys Camped out in the World’s Best Airport — but Should You?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Long connections and overnight layovers: something any sane traveler will try to avoid at all costs. But if you had the opportunity to do it at the world’s #1 rated airport, would you? We’re talking slides from security to the terminal, swimming pools, nap lounges, a 24-hour movie theater and a rooftop garden, just to highlight a few of the amenities at Singapore’s Changi Airport. For YouTubers from Yes Theory, this seemed like a no-brainer— why wouldn’t they extend their layover?
Well, the legal answer to that question is that you cannot spend more than 48 hours in the airport. However, the pair booked a flight that they didn’t plan on making, to get them in the terminal four days ahead of an international flight that they did plan to make. Although this plan didn’t go so well for a passenger who was sent to jail for two weeks after spending 18 days in the same airport after genuinely missing his flight, the vloggers took on the challenge of spending a mere four days there. Spoiler: they successfully managed to do so, with just one minor scare. Also, disclaimer: We do not advocate breaking any laws.
Even though there are nap lounges and transit hotels available for ticketed passengers, the two spent a majority of their nights sleeping on airport benches and couches to avoid getting into any trouble for overstaying.
Personally, I’m not so sure I would want to spend more than a night at any airport regardless of how nice it is. However, if I were to book a flight with a long layover at Changi Airport, I’d utilize my Priority Pass membership (a perk of many credit cards) to access one of the airport’s numerous lounges.
Featured photo by Ethan Steinberg / The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.