This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Summer is finally upon us, and Google Maps is trying to help its users squeeze in the most sightseeing possible before Labor Day. On Wednesday, Google Maps introduced a feature to track the most popular tourist destinations across the US using its trend data.
Google Maps is listing its suggestions to fit the interests of most travelers, so whether you’re looking for a beach vacation under the sun or a more history-oriented trip, Google Maps has you covered.
In need of some Vitamin Sea? Search “That Summer Beach Life,” and Google Maps will pull up a list of especially Instagram-able ocean- and lake-side locations in America.
Does your geekiness expand beyond aviation? If your trips tend to revolve around seeking out historical monuments, search “Historical Landmarks” on Google Maps for a list of significant sites you can plan to visit.
Outdoor Adventure Excursions
If you’re looking for a more adventurous trip, search “US National Parks” in Google Maps, and a list of destinations fit for those who love to explore will appear. Grab your new hiking boots, binoculars and a backpack – you’ll need them!
Google Maps also compiles some of other convenient suggestions for travelers — from lodging to transportation — right in its app.
- Hotels: Google Maps shows hotels on its interface. You can book rooms directly from the app, and you can see descriptions and reviews relevant to the hotel.
- Rest stops: The nearest rest stop is always available to you with Google Maps.
- Airports: On the Google Maps mobile app and website, you can search for any airport (or terminal, for that matter) to acquaint yourself with out the layout. You can see gates, lounges, restaurants and stores.
- Local transit: If you need directions for local transit, Google Maps can give you navigation times, ETAs, and step-by-step notifications, just like with any other trip you take with Google Maps.
- Offline maps: You can now save regions of the map to your phone so that you can view it later without using up your data.
- Parking: On Google Maps, you can pin your parking location so that lots and garages are less disorienting.
Featured image by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees