These 4 US States Have the Most Credit Card Debt
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The top four most populous states in the US have racked up the most credit card debt, a new report released Tuesday from the New York state comptroller says.
California has the largest amount of credit card debt. Consumers in the Golden State were collectively more than $106.8 billion in credit card debt by the end of 2017, according to the numbers from Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli, whose office used statistics calculated in February by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. That number, however, does not measure credit card debt per capita, so based on it it’s impossible to say whether Californians tend to carry higher credit card balances than other people in the US. (According to a 2016 study by creditcards.com the states with the heaviest debt load per capita are Alaska and New Mexico, while North Dakota and Iowa have the lowest.)
Texas clocked in at the No. 2 spot on the list, with a total of $67.3 billion in debt accumulated on credit cards across the state. Florida and New York were close behind, with $59.2 billion and $58.1 billion in charged debt respectively.
Americans’ total credit card debt reached an estimated $931 billion in 2017, according to a recent study by NerdWallet. That is a 7% year-over-year increase from 2016. And the average US household carries a balance of $15,654 on their credit card bills. (Remember that carrying that kind of balance on a travel reward will negate any points and miles benefits, as noted in TPG‘s 10 commandments for travel credit cards).
At the end of 2017, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau released its biennial report to Congress that showed Americans have a total of $4 trillion in available credit lines. That number is approaching the highest national available credit on record of $4.4 trillion, reached in mid-2008 during the financial crisis.
According to the New York comptroller’s numbers, the other states with the top 10 highest balances in credit card debt are: Pennsylvania with $33.2 billion, Illinois with $32.2 billion, New Jersey with $29.6 billion, Ohio with $26.7 billion, Virginia with $26.5 billion and Georgia with $26.3 billion.
Featured image by mixetto/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees