These 10 Airports Will Be Swamped Over Thanksgiving
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Automobile Association (AAA) anticipates that more than 54 million Americans will travel “50 miles or more away from home” this Thanksgiving, marking “the highest Thanksgiving travel volume” since 2005. The number is 2.5 million higher than 2017, and will result in some busier-than-usual airports.
Travel companies Hopper and InsureMyTrip say that Atlanta, Los Angeles and Chicago will be three of the most hectic hubs for air travel next week. Predictably, the busiest day for outbound travel will be Wednesday, Nov. 21, while the busiest day for return travel will be Sunday, Nov. 25.
Ranked in order of anticipated traffic, these will be the 10 busiest airports of Thanksgiving 2018:
Predictably, the busiest airport in the world will process a higher-than-normal passenger volume through the holidays. The Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) is projected to serve an estimated 1,263,168 passengers, and the busiest time will likely be 8am.
Los Angeles (LAX)
LAX is second up on the list, anticipating 1,074,752 outbound passengers with a peak traffic time of 7am.
Third up, Chicago O’Hare International Airport is anticipated to process 1,057,482 outbound passengers and experience its busiest times of traffic at 6pm.
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport will be the first airport on this list anticipated to process less than one million travelers. Data suggests that 828,891 outbound passengers will pass through DFW, with a busiest time at 9am.
The Denver International Airport is anticipated to process 787,629 outgoing passengers with a busiest time of 10am.
New York (JFK)
John F. Kennedy International Airport will process an estimated 781,953 passengers, with a busiest time around 6pm.
San Francisco (SFO)
San Francisco International Airport, will likely process 714,796 outbound passengers with a busiest time of 12pm.
The Charlotte Douglas International Airport will handle 614,779 outbound passengers and experience its busiest times at 8am.
Orlando International Airport will see an estimated 603,100 outbound passengers, and with a busiest time of 6am.
Rounding out the Top 10 list is Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, which will process right around 590,938 outbound passengers with a busiest time of 6am.
Featured photo courtesy of oneclearvision / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.