There’s One More Airline Offering Low-Cost Flights in Europe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just one year after adding LEVEL, a long-haul, low-cost carrier to its portfolio, IAG, the owner of British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus and Vueling, is continuing its foray into the low-cost sector and launching LEVEL-branded short-haul European flights.
Unlike the long-haul airline which is based in Barcelona (and Paris starting July 2), LEVEL’s new subsidiary will be based in Vienna, Austria. It will begin operations with flights from Vienna (VIE) to Palma de Mallorca (PMI) and London Gatwick (LGW), followed by other destinations such as Barcelona (BCN), Malaga (AGP) and Paris Oly (ORY). The flights will be operated by four Airbus A321 aircraft, which are fitted with 210 seats in an all-economy arrangement.
You won’t need to wait long to take one of these flights. The new subsidiary will begin flying to its first set of destinations on July 17 with fares starting at 24.99 euros (~$29) one-way — comparable to other low-cost carriers. For now, flights can only be booked through IAG’s other European low-cost carrier, Vueling. Just head to flylevel.com/austria, plug in your desired dates and cities and you’ll be redirected to Vueling’s site to complete the booking. The fare is, as with many low-cost carriers, for bare-bones transport, with no checked luggage or food included.
“Customers can check-in online or at the airport and take one hand baggage item onboard for free. They can choose to pay for additional items, such as checked luggage, from a menu of options designed to suit a variety of budgets and needs. There will also be a large selection of food and drink which can be purchased onboard,” IAG CEO Willie Walsh explained in a company statement.
This move comes at a time when competition among the low-cost segment in Europe is fiercer than ever before. Last December, IAG tried to buy Vienna-based low-cost carrier Niki (now known as Laudamotion), but lost out to Ryanair. IAG has also expressed great interest in a complete takeover of Norwegian Air and will reportedly make a third bid to acquire the low-cost carrier.
“We are launching this new shorthaul subsidiary to provide Austrian consumers with more flight choices across Europe,” Walsh said.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees