This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Looking to grab a pint in a UK pub this summer? You better get there early. The beer shortage hitting the country due to a lack of carbon dioxide doesn’t look like it’s ending anytime soon.
Now, a major UK wholesaler is rationing out its bubbly beverage products like beer and cider to its clients. Booker, a beverage supplier for venues like grocery stores and pubs, has limited clients to 300 cans (10 cases) per brand per day. This is a result of the country’s biggest CO₂ crisis in decades, which partly stems from several ammonia plants — the chemical needed for carbonation — to close for maintenance.
Only one plant is operating and producing CO₂ for the entire country’s beer supply, and at least 82% of the beer consumed in the UK is produced within the nation. According to Esquire, Heineken told pubs to expect shortages of Amstel and John Smith brands, and Wetherspoons, the UK’s biggest pub, will be pulling some beers from its menu.
Beer isn’t the only thing at risk; the Food and Drink Federation believes this lack of CO₂ also affects the UK’s food industry.
“This is an issue that will affect much of the United Kingdom’s … farm-to-fork supply chain,” Helen Munday, the chief scientific officer at the Food and Drink Federation, told CNN Money.
The lack of CO₂ is predicted to impact the UK’s meat industry, food packaging services and frozen food deliveries.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that