The UK Is Now Rationing Beer Amid the Worst CO₂ Shortage in Decades
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Looking to grab a pint in a UK pub this summer? You better get there early. The beer shortage hitting the country due to a lack of carbon dioxide doesn’t look like it’s ending anytime soon.
Now, a major UK wholesaler is rationing out its bubbly beverage products like beer and cider to its clients. Booker, a beverage supplier for venues like grocery stores and pubs, has limited clients to 300 cans (10 cases) per brand per day. This is a result of the country’s biggest CO₂ crisis in decades, which partly stems from several ammonia plants — the chemical needed for carbonation — to close for maintenance.
Only one plant is operating and producing CO₂ for the entire country’s beer supply, and at least 82% of the beer consumed in the UK is produced within the nation. According to Esquire, Heineken told pubs to expect shortages of Amstel and John Smith brands, and Wetherspoons, the UK’s biggest pub, will be pulling some beers from its menu.
Beer isn’t the only thing at risk; the Food and Drink Federation believes this lack of CO₂ also affects the UK’s food industry.
“This is an issue that will affect much of the United Kingdom’s … farm-to-fork supply chain,” Helen Munday, the chief scientific officer at the Food and Drink Federation, told CNN Money.
The lack of CO₂ is predicted to impact the UK’s meat industry, food packaging services and frozen food deliveries.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees