The UK Is Now Rationing Beer Amid the Worst CO₂ Shortage in Decades
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Looking to grab a pint in a UK pub this summer? You better get there early. The beer shortage hitting the country due to a lack of carbon dioxide doesn’t look like it’s ending anytime soon.
Now, a major UK wholesaler is rationing out its bubbly beverage products like beer and cider to its clients. Booker, a beverage supplier for venues like grocery stores and pubs, has limited clients to 300 cans (10 cases) per brand per day. This is a result of the country’s biggest CO₂ crisis in decades, which partly stems from several ammonia plants — the chemical needed for carbonation — to close for maintenance.
Only one plant is operating and producing CO₂ for the entire country’s beer supply, and at least 82% of the beer consumed in the UK is produced within the nation. According to Esquire, Heineken told pubs to expect shortages of Amstel and John Smith brands, and Wetherspoons, the UK’s biggest pub, will be pulling some beers from its menu.
Beer isn’t the only thing at risk; the Food and Drink Federation believes this lack of CO₂ also affects the UK’s food industry.
“This is an issue that will affect much of the United Kingdom’s … farm-to-fork supply chain,” Helen Munday, the chief scientific officer at the Food and Drink Federation, told CNN Money.
The lack of CO₂ is predicted to impact the UK’s meat industry, food packaging services and frozen food deliveries.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.