The TSA Has Confiscated 2 Grenades in 3 Weeks at This Small Wisconsin Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration has found two inert grenades in separate incidents at La Crosse Airport (LSE) in Wisconsin within the last three weeks. In the most recent incident, traveler Jimmy Hart had been volunteering with the American Red Cross to assist flood victims from nearby Vernon County, and treated himself to a souvenir by purchasing the grenade at a nearby novelty shop. Hart received a disorderly conduct citation for disrupting TSA operations, and was dismissed in time to make his flight, according to the La Crosse tribune. The previous grenade-toting traveler, who was not named, told TSA that he used his inert grenade as a paperweight. He likewise received a civil charge from the TSA, but was also allowed to continue on to his flight. Civil penalties for bringing realistic replicas of explosive to a security screening checkpoint can carry a fine of between $330 to $1,960.
In a pithy tweet, a TSA spokesperson followed up the announcement with a terse request: “If it looks like an explosive, please don’t bring it to an airport.”
Grenades aren’t the only inexplicable belongings people try to carry on to planes. Just this past Tuesday, Moscow officials confiscated 20 live snakes transported from Germany in a passenger’s carry-on luggage. And in addition to the standard firearms, live eagles and gunpowder, travelers have also presented themselves at security toting cats, mallard ducks and propane.
Featured photo by LUIS ROBAYO/AFP/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees