The TSA Has Confiscated 2 Grenades in 3 Weeks at This Small Wisconsin Airport
The Transportation Security Administration has found two inert grenades in separate incidents at La Crosse Airport (LSE) in Wisconsin within the last three weeks. In the most recent incident, traveler Jimmy Hart had been volunteering with the American Red Cross to assist flood victims from nearby Vernon County, and treated himself to a souvenir by purchasing the grenade at a nearby novelty shop. Hart received a disorderly conduct citation for disrupting TSA operations, and was dismissed in time to make his flight, according to the La Crosse tribune. The previous grenade-toting traveler, who was not named, told TSA that he used his inert grenade as a paperweight. He likewise received a civil charge from the TSA, but was also allowed to continue on to his flight. Civil penalties for bringing realistic replicas of explosive to a security screening checkpoint can carry a fine of between $330 to $1,960.
In a pithy tweet, a TSA spokesperson followed up the announcement with a terse request: “If it looks like an explosive, please don’t bring it to an airport.”
Grenades aren’t the only inexplicable belongings people try to carry on to planes. Just this past Tuesday, Moscow officials confiscated 20 live snakes transported from Germany in a passenger’s carry-on luggage. And in addition to the standard firearms, live eagles and gunpowder, travelers have also presented themselves at security toting cats, mallard ducks and propane.
Featured photo by LUIS ROBAYO/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.