The Thai Cave Where 12 Boys Were Rescued Is Now a Popular Tourist Attraction
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An unexpected, new tourist hot spot has emerged in northern Thailand. Tham Luang-Khun Nam Nang Non forest park in Chiang Rai province has never been a must-see destination, but now, the once quiet area has people lining up for selfies. The reason? The park is home to Tham Luang cave, where the highly publicized rescue of a Thai youth soccer team took place back in July. The 12 boys and their coach were rescued 17 days after the cave flooded with water and trapped them inside.
The park reopened its cave complex on Nov. 16 and has received thousands of visitors since. More than 100 stalls have popped up along the road that leads to Tham Luang cave, selling everything from food to souvenirs. Although the cave where the boys were trapped remains closed and is only visible through a chain-link fence, three other caves in the park are open to the public.
Locals are excited to see the spike in tourism and the opportunity for job growth. “This is an amazing thing that has happened for the people in this area,” Vipa Romaneechutima, who sells lottery tickets near the entrance to the cave, told The Guardian. “People tried to make Tham Luang a tourist attraction before, many times, but it never became popular. Now it is famous all over the world because of the boys saved from the cave. We are not just happy because of the money from tourists. We are also very proud people want to travel here to see our beautiful park. It is an honor for us.”
The park will soon house a museum that will honor the rescue and pay tribute to the Thai navy diver, Saman Gunan, who lost his life during the rescue mission. For now, crowds lay flowers near the entrance of the cave in his memory.
Featured image by Thierry Falise/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees