The Megabus “free” ticket giveaway is back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Grab your bag and your friends and get ready for a cheap getaway because Megabus is offering “free” tickets on travel between Jan. 8 and Feb. 29, 2020.
It appears that this is an extension of Megabus’ Cyber Monday deal, where the company gave away 200,000 free tickets. However, the difference is that these tickets aren’t completely free this time around: you’ll have to pay a $4 fee per reservation.
While Megabus isn’t right for every type of traveler, it’s perfect for those looking for a low-cost, last-minute getaway. Think college students wanting to take a trip home for the weekend or city dwellers looking for a change of scenery.
Megabus offers an affordable option on travel through the U.S. and Canada with availability in over 100 cities and university campuses, making it a go-to option for budget travelers.
Similar to the Cyber Monday deal, the “free” one-way tickets appear to be available on select nationwide travel between Jan. 8 – Feb 29, 2020. There’s no limit to how many tickets one person can claim, so you could really load up. TPG contributor, Benji Stawski managed to score 23 free tickets during the Cyber Monday promo.
As someone from the D.C. suburbs who currently lives in New York City, I take the bus quite often as it allows me to see my family on a whim without breaking the bank. Of course, I’d prefer the convenience and speed of the train or plane, but those options simply don’t offer the same price point.
Just take a look at TPG’s Race to D.C. and you’ll see just how much the bus can save you. That’s more cash in your pocket to spend at the destination instead of on the road. Who’s to complain about that?
Featured photo by TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.