The Iceland Travel Boom Is Crazy, and This Statistic Proves It
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Holy Blue Lagoon! Reykjavik is now the third most popular European destination for American travelers this summer, according to popular travel insurance provider Allianz, which aggregated the Top 20 list based on Europe travel booked between Memorial Day and Labor Day 2018.
The capital of Iceland, which was only ranked No. 17 in 2017, jumped an astounding 14 spots ahead, outstripping Rome, Barcelona and Athens and falling behind only perennial favorites London and Paris.
US travel to Reykjavik has significantly risen in recent years, and partial credit no doubt goes to Icelandic low-cost carrier WOW Air’s popular offer to include free stopovers in Reykjavik on all Europe-bound routes. (The airline’s viral job offer probably didn’t hurt Reykjavik’s reputation, either.) Social media has been another significant factor in Iceland’s rising popularity, as the country’s otherworldly landscapes make for Instagram-worthy snaps at every turn.
Meanwhile, several other cities dropped in the ranks, with Barcelona slipping to No. 7 from its previous No. 5 rank in 2016 and 2017, most likely due to recent political unrest, street protests, and last summer’s terrorist attack. Yet Spain overall ranked as the second-most popular tourist destination in 2017, and No. 7 is still a respectable spot on the Top 20 list.
One destination on the list is a first-timer to the Top 20 bracket: the city of Nice, in the south of France. While the city experienced a terrorist truck attack during the Bastille Day celebration in 2016, nearly 2% of travelers are planning to fly into Nice this summer.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.