Show Dog Vanishes at Atlanta Airport — but There’s a Happy Ending
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A prize-winning show dog went missing at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) on Saturday, and airport authorities are searching for her. [Update 4:25pm ET: Gale has been found! An email from the Atlanta airport’s public affairs office was sent with the laconic but moving subject line “dog found”. According to the airport, the dog was spotted earlier on Tuesday and caught with a baited trap.]
The pure-bred American Staffordshire Terrier, named Gale, was headed home to Amsterdam on a KLM flight following a round of shows throughout the US. After completing her last one in Louisville, Kentucky, on Saturday, Gale was escorted to ATL with another dog by her handlers, and they were checked in for their KLM Royal Dutch Airlines flight back home. However, shortly after they boarded, the handlers were informed that Gale’s kennel was found empty.
Since going missing, Gale had been reportedly running loose in the airport. Airport authorities had last reported seeing the dog Monday morning around 3:30 am.
“The dog somehow got out of the crate and is now running around the airfield,” Andrew Gobeil, a spokesperson for Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, told ABC News on Monday. “We have about 4,600 acres of field out there, from the airfield and from the woods area. So we’re looking throughout the entire airport.” ATL is a huge airport, the busiest in the world by number of passengers handled a year.
Upon hearing about the situation, Gale’s owner, Floris Van Essen, told ABC that he and his wife were completely panicked. “We were out of our minds,” said Van Essen. “You can imagine it’s horrific to hear that a dog is gone and nobody knows where she is.” KLM said in an email that the cause of the escape was that the cage was “improperly secured” by the airport staff. The airline, along with ATL staff, says it’s actively searching for the missing dog.
“We’re optimistic that we’ll find Gale,” Gobeil had said on Tuesday.
Featured image of the Atlanta airport from above on June 24, 2018 by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees