This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue has promoted Joanna Geraghty to president and chief operating officer, making her the highest ranking woman at any large US airline.
She will report directly to JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes. According to JetBlue, she will “manage the day-to-day airline operation, focusing on efforts to deliver a leading customer service experience, execute key structural cost initiatives and enhance operational performance.”
Geraghty was promoted from her current position of executive vice president of customer experience at the New York-based airline.
According to Bloomberg, Geraghty will be the the highest ranking woman in an industry that’s typically dominated by men. According to a 2014 article from Skift, only 5% of airline CEOs around the world were women. She joined JetBlue in 2005 and has worked her way up the ranks over the last 13 years, serving in positions like chief people officer and as associate general council.
The promotion comes during a time of upheaval for JetBlue. The airline announced its longtime general council James Hnat would be retiring and that other management positions would be changing. JetBlue is still considering whether to expand its route network to include transatlantic flights. The airline has been dealing with the unionization of flight attendants and contract negotiations with pilots — all the while implementing cost-cutting measures.
JetBlue said Jeff Martin, currently executive vice-president of operations, will become a senior advisor and will help with the transition during the company’s reorganization.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees