This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus’ newest aircraft completed its maiden voyage today. The first Airbus BelugaXL took off from Toulouse, France (TLS) and successfully completed its first test flight.
Airbus teased the voyage on social media for the aircraft that’s sole purpose is to ferry oversized airplane parts around the globe.
The plane, which can carry more than 50 tons of cargo, took off from Toulouse Blagnac Airport at 10:30am local time.
It made a low pass over the airfield all with the original Beluga, the BelugaXL’s smaller predecessor, in the foreground. The XL, based off the A330-200, is 30% larger than the Beluga.
The aircraft can carry two A350 wings inside with a maximum range of 4,000 kilometers (about 2,485 miles). Registered F-WBXL, the bird was tracked by FlightRadar24 while it circled over southern France and the Mediterranean Sea.
Airbus flew another aircraft alongside it to capture the plane that looks like no other. Airbus employees voted on the aircraft’s livery that’s designed to resemble the aircraft’s namesake, a Beluga whale.
After four hours and 15 minutes in flight, it landed safely back in Toulouse.
Airbus celebrated the inaugural voyage and opened up the plane’s nose — putting the flight crew in their orange jump suits on full display.
The first XL will go into regular service in 2019. By 2025, the fleet of Belugas will have been phased out of service, being replaced by five XLs.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees