This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus’ newest aircraft completed its maiden voyage today. The first Airbus BelugaXL took off from Toulouse, France (TLS) and successfully completed its first test flight.
Airbus teased the voyage on social media for the aircraft that’s sole purpose is to ferry oversized airplane parts around the globe.
The plane, which can carry more than 50 tons of cargo, took off from Toulouse Blagnac Airport at 10:30am local time.
It made a low pass over the airfield all with the original Beluga, the BelugaXL’s smaller predecessor, in the foreground. The XL, based off the A330-200, is 30% larger than the Beluga.
The aircraft can carry two A350 wings inside with a maximum range of 4,000 kilometers (about 2,485 miles). Registered F-WBXL, the bird was tracked by FlightRadar24 while it circled over southern France and the Mediterranean Sea.
Airbus flew another aircraft alongside it to capture the plane that looks like no other. Airbus employees voted on the aircraft’s livery that’s designed to resemble the aircraft’s namesake, a Beluga whale.
After four hours and 15 minutes in flight, it landed safely back in Toulouse.
Airbus celebrated the inaugural voyage and opened up the plane’s nose — putting the flight crew in their orange jump suits on full display.
The first XL will go into regular service in 2019. By 2025, the fleet of Belugas will have been phased out of service, being replaced by five XLs.
Featured image by Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees